Saturday, 13 November 2010

Woodwork projects-memory and a House

For as long as I can remember I loved the smell of sawdust, that smell that yelled "wood work;" rebuild is Dad something! And, of course, because my father was a Carpenter, who was ever present sawdust smell for most of my childhood.


My father built our House and many of the furniture. I remember a year asked him what he wanted for Christmas. His reply, "Oh Genny, just buy me a bag of nails and I I'll be happy." That was the year that he was building stairs for our new second floor.I bought him a very large bag of nails and sure enough, he was excited! he was a man who knew what made him happy: building, tools, and Yes, nails!


I didn't get to visit many after I was grown. My parents lived in New York and I lived in California, so the cost frequent visits prohibited.But one of the last times I attended was summer and father was to build a picnic table and I said, "Gee, wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a picnic table vs. building a?" His answer was in the form of the true Carpenter, "what's the fun in that!"


I have lots of happy memories of just hanging around my father while he worked on several projects. He had always a joke or some neat little story to share while measuring, saw pounding and barns, and surprisingly enough time would just evaporate. Hours would seem a few moments had passed! I'd watch him sweat and labor in pure pleasure, and when he was working on what was done it felt super exciting to see the finished product!


Over the years I saw my father build everything from houses to flower pots, there was nothing too big or too small. plans drawn up and implemented by each person. He mentioned that a time or two building plans (and the relevant details) is not his favorite part, but he never was a were actually buy plans.I don't know if they were not offered when or what, but he always prepared his own.He was very "old school" about a lot of what he did, so maybe that's why he did it himself, but I guess I'll never know for sure that since he is now in heaven build things for God.


Needless to say, I have a lot of positive associations where wood work, and I think many a person would find incredible satisfaction of pursuing;and if they are able to share it with their children, well, all the better., after all, I know my father built many memories for me while he's busy building everything that is added to our lives, so here is a link for a product that offers thousands of wood working plans with step-by-step instructions, photos & diagrams to easily create each project was ridiculous. Enough projects for the last twenty years a good while you raise your kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment